Friday, November 16, 2007

There's a big difference between MOSTLY dead, and ALL dead.

We have had a pet turtle now for some time, and it came to my attention that he hadn't been eating for several days. He was also just sitting on his rock all of the time. I mentioned to Kenny that I thought something might be wrong and he concurred. We decided to tell Lincoln that "Lester" was sick in the hopes that if he did die, that it might help Lincoln to understand.


Well the very next day Kenny went in to check and sure enough there was Lester floating around in the water with all his arms out and his head all the way out. We poked at him a few times and Kenny picked him up just to check. It was pretty sad because he was so limp and yucky. Normally Lester would pull his head and legs in as soon as you even walked near the tank. Plus...for those of you who don't know, turtles don't float. They have to swim to the surface to get air. So the floating thing kind of clued us in.

So we headed out to explain to Lincoln. As soon as we told him that Lester had died he asked if he could see him and we said sure. Let's go say goodbye.

Here's where it gets weird. Lincoln ran into his room to check it out and as I trailed behind I came into the room to hear Lincoln saying "Hey Lester!" in a really happy smiley voice. Kenny stood there and looked at me puzzled saying "well I guess it's a miracle" There was Lester swimming over to his rock.

An hour later we checked again and thought for sure he was dead this time, but wouldn't dare tell Lincoln until we were sure (way to mess with his head right? - He was kind of confused by the whole thing). But another hour passed and Lester was in another position. Several more hours went by and we thought for sure he was dead and did the poking moving him around thing just to be sure and thought again that he must be dead. But a few minutes later he moved a bit more and then just sat there.

We had errands to run so we agreed to put him directly in the middle of the tank (he was still just floating - not normal) and if he moved any more then we wouldn't touch him again. But four or five hours later Lester was still in the same position, and finally gone for real. We had a sad little burial for him after Lincoln helped Daddy dig a hole for him in the backyard.

I think Lincoln gets it too. He wanted us all to look in the sky and watch lester in the clouds. He wanted Lester to play with Grandma's doggy and Grandma's birdy in Heaven, which I am sure they are.
GOOD BYE LESTER - YOU WERE A GREAT PET!

6 comments:

Rachel EM said...

I want a turtle--Lester looked all cool and stripey. My er... condolences.

{Erica} said...

K way funny story, but sad about Lester!

Heather said...

That is the sweetest/saddest story EVER!!!! I got teary-eyed at the end (especially with this music in the background). P.S. YOU'RE FAMOUS!!!!!....great interview on Erica's bloggity blog!

Alicia said...

Kind of freaky with Lester coming and going like that all day! Sad he's gone...I love that Lincoln said he's in heaven with grandma's doggy. So cute.

Rebeccah Mildenstein said...

Oh that is so sad and strange. I hate the milesotes involving sadness for kids.

Rebeccah Mildenstein said...

Oh that is so sad and strange. I hate the milesotes involving sadness for kids.