Friday, March 21, 2008

EXPLANATION

So I have been gone for a long time. I figure anyone who is kind enough to check my blog sort of deserves an explanation so here goes.

I have an absolutely beautiful and wonderful 10 month old baby boy (as well as a wonderful almost 4-year-old). But I also have an enormous case of postpartum depression. I have been dealing with it for quite some time, but for some reason it has become exceptionally difficult over the last few months. I am dealing with it pretty well, but due to the depression; my priorities, the way I live my everyday life, and my sense of accomplishment in my everyday life have drastically changed, and not for the better. It has been really difficult for me as well as for my boys and my husband and it has really taken a toll on me mentally and physically.

I kind of needed to take a bit of a break for a reality check of my life, and to try to attempt to get things under control. My wonderful mom came out to help me for a while and my husband does all that he can to help as well, but sometimes and some days it is just really difficult. I tried to cut out things that were unnecessary in my everyday routine as well as some other changes in an attempt to get back to basics and rebuild my life in a sense from there, and blogging was definitely not a necessity for me for a while.

Luckily, I am feeling much better now due to some physical and medical intervention and am bit by bit getting back to my old self. The me before I had kids - only better because now I can enjoy being a mom and being the old sassy me.

So - Please feel free to come back and check in as I am beginning to figure out my life out a bit more, and am beginning to reenter the blogging world on a much more frequent basis.

8 comments:

Alicia said...

I wish I could have come out a little bit earlier to help out...I don't think bringing two more boys into the mix would have been much help, though. As the Australian's say: "Good on ya, mate!" Keep up the good work!

Rachel EM said...

Sass-muh-frass!

Emily said...

Yeah Melissa welcome back in both senses of the word! I am glad you took the time to take care of you! Ditto what Alicia says.

shelly said...

At the risk of being really nosy, from everything you wrote in your post, it looks like you're handling every little thing in exactly the right way! To recognize a problem, accept help from loved ones, listen to doctors, and moving forward sensibly...I think you're an inspiration! You sound like an amazing wife, mother, and daughter. And sister-in-law:)By the way...what a beautiful family you have.

Anna said...

I'm glad you are doing better. I can't imagine how hard it must be to pull yourself up by the boot straps so to speak, but good for you. I'm glad you are back.

Maren said...

I also had a bit of Postpartum, it is pretty unbelivable how hard it is to do ANYTHING! Good luck on working through it and take your time!

{Erica} said...

Post Partum sucks rocks. I had it with Ella. We had moved when she was 5 weeks old to a place where no family or friends were and I had no idea what I was going to do. It took a lot of effort just to get up in the morning. I seriously had to write on a post-it note every night what I wanted to accomplish the next day (it was a big change going from working full time and feeling productive to being a new mom). The post-it said things like shower, get dressed and had a box to mark it off...helped feel like I was doing something with my day. I had to pump (Ella never latched right) for the first 5 months and so I couldn't really go anywhere. IT was a VERY hard time. Add to that no sleep and husband being gone and it was BAD! anyway, I share this with you because I feel your pain and frustration. Glad to hear that you're getting things worked out and that things are going better. If you ever just want to vent or whatever..email me or give me a call!!

ps we should totall meet up next time we're at disneyland..I think we just missed you guys this time.

The Bastian's said...

Since you have been gone I haven't checked your blog every day. I can't tell you how happy that I am to see you back. I also can't tell you how much I love the Sassy Melissa! You are a strong one girlie and I know you will make it through. I wish that we could hang out! Email me sometime huh?!