Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The USO


Our trip/adventure to Utah began in a strange way. We were not able to get on our 7:30 a.m. flight - even though we got to the airport at 5:00 a.m. and yes that did mean that we left home at 4:00 a.m.

I was blessed to have met someone a few weeks previous who had mentioned staying at an airport USO. I had no idea what she was talking about at the time, but I am so glad I asked more because that is where Lincoln, Grant and I spent our day from around 8:00 in the morning until we left to go through security for our flight at 9:30 p.m.

Just to clarify - I know some of you must be thinking "why didn't she just go home for the day" But those of you who have lived in LA or outside of LA know that driving through traffic either in the morning rush hour or evening rush hour takes an extra hour of driving time, which would have meant driving two hours home, two hours back, going back to pick up the car, which had already been parked by a Valet - tipping him again, paying for that day's worth of parking, having to valet it again in the afternoon (coming early to do so), making another parking reservation, riding the shuttle to and from the airport to get to the valet parking facility with all four huge pieces of luggage and a stroller and two kids, and pushing the smart cart full of luggage and the double stroller all over the airport twice . .....I don't think so.

So instead we decided to stay the day and play here

And yes, the USO is the same as that group that Bob Hope toured around with to visit the troops. They actually still do USO tours to Iraq and Afghanistan and the like.

This was the coolest thing by far from that day. Sometimes being in the military definitely has its perks!

You can read more about it on their site, but to summarize, it is a place where military members and dependents can come while waiting for flights or connections. They have wonderful facilities available and it is all free of charge (donated by wonderful people). They have three meals a day, all the snacks you could want, drinks, showers, movies, nap rooms, videos, and best of all, a kids room! It was really cool and they were so helpful and kind from the moment we walked into the door.

We met a ton of people all stationed in different parts of the world, and even got to watch as a whole unit of Marines came through on their way out. We had a huge BBQ with them and watched movies, played with toys, relaxed and had a great time. The ladies even made special PB&J's just for the kids.

Best thing ever! Someday when we are totally rich I will most definitely be making contributions to the USO. It was a fun day - and just another part of our vacation as far as we were concerned. Lincoln just loved making all the new friends we met and all of the fun toys. Disney donated everything for the kids room so that was fun!

We love the USO!

2 comments:

shelly said...

That's so amazing...and Wonderful! Is this just at LAX? Wow.

Diana Mildenstein said...

That sounds like a wonderful perk for being part of the military!

It was so good to see you and the boys in Utah, they are growing up so fast! I missed Kenny however. I am glad that you made it home okay.